Nu-Iron withdraws bid for ArcelorMittal steel plant in Trinidad
News Day reported that Nu-Iron Unlimited withdrew its USD 20 million bid for the former ArcelorMittal steel plant on Friday because of bureaucratic hold ups. A source told Newsday the company, which had been waiting on approval from the Ministry of Finance for a foreign investor licence, had finally got fed up of being asked to provide assurances to the state. The bid period closed at the end of September. Nu-Iron won the bid, but the lock-out period, preventing other bids, kept being extended to facilitate the approval process. After five extensions, it finally ended on Friday. Nu-Iron's parent company, US-based Nucor, did not respond to Newsday's request for comment.
President of the Steel Workers Union of TT (SWUTT) Christopher Henry said he also heard the report of the withdrawal but is yet to confirm it. He said “It is speculation at this time. If it is true, we are asking the Government to get involved and ensure that Macarri Steel is the preferred purchaser. They are offering the workers their jobs back, as well as to build three more plants.”
Another company, Macarri Steel Holdings Ltd, in April, made a USD 27 million bid to purchase the plant but had not been entertained since the official bid period had already closed. One of Macarri’s directors, TT businessman Unanan Persad, said Macarri is now hoping it gets to bid, creating employment for former workers, some of whom are still unemployed since the ArcelorMittal plant closed.
The plant, located in the Point Lisas Industrial Port Development Corporation (Plipdeco), was shuttered in March 2016 and put in liquidation.
Source : News Day